The Market in Five Charts: Anomalies Make it a Tricky Time to Make Market Bets
June 24, 2021 - Is inflation transitory? The Federal Reserve, along with bond and equity markets, seem to think so. Just last week, Fed Chairman Jerome Powell expressed comfort in navigating short-term inflationary shocks to maximize employment amidst the US economic recovery.
How should investors feel? In this month's The Market in Five Charts, Chief Investment Officer Rick Pitcairn assesses:
- The Fed's thoughts on short-term inflation
- The bond market's reaction to inflation concerns
- The equity market's continued climb amidst some weakening fundamentals
- A market with many anomalies and few predictive indicators
- An economy driven by ingenuity—with a "Boom" for the future of air travel